so i get up early (mind you, early for me) at 7:30 AM this morning to go get my blood work done. lab opens up at 6:30, i figure it shouldn't take me too long and the wait wont be too bad... i mean, who gets up THAT early to get blood work done...
apparently a lot of people! i walk into the wait room and there are about 15 other people in the wait room. i soon find out that there is only one person drawing blood this morning. it takes me 45 minutes to get into the room. a kind filipino man escorts me into the room, reads my name off the request form... "EUGENIO" he says "you're filipina, huh?" I tell him yes and he walks to a drawer and begins taking out vials to draw blood, while looking at my form at the same time... one vial, two vials, three vials, four vials... oh my god, you've got to be kidding me...are you serious? five vials, he drops the sixth vial on the floor, picks it up, reaches in the drawer again, seven vials. seven vials of blood. i try not to look over and freak out but realize that this is a heck of a lot of blood they're about to take from me. oh crap!
so he tells me he's going to poke me, i tell him OK. the prick lasts for less than 2 seconds and i immediately feel the blood begin to flow. my hands starts to get numb after a few seconds and the tech repeatedly asks me if i'm OK, i reply yes to him about 2 times, and realize that i'm started to get light headed. I tell him this and he asks me if i'm fasting.... I tell him yes and say "I'm also pregnant and I'm starving." He says, "I know you're pregnant and I immediately sense him feeling sympathy and panic for me." He tells me to breath in and out deeply, finishes the last vial, and runs to get me a cup of water. He tells me to sit down for a few minutes and rest. After a few minutes, I start to feel better and get up to leave the lab. The lab tech sees me before I leave and asks me one more "Are you OK?". I tell him yes, and thank him for being so kind. SO GLAD THAT IS OVER!
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment